Saturday, September 24, 2011

Low Carb Diet Breakfast Ideas

After being on a low carb diet for 13 days, I realised that the most difficult meal to plan for is really breakfast.  Well at least in Asia, lots of our breakfast food contains lots of carbohydrates.  This range from noodles, bread,  porridge to cereals.  I guess people in other countries starting on a low carb diet will also find it equally frustrating to find a breakfast option that is truly low or no carb.

Eggs

On the first few days of my induction phase for the Atkins Diet, I really ate just half boiled eggs for breakfast every day.  Two half boiled eggs just with a little dark soy sauce together with black coffee.  However, after eating that for 3 days in a row, I really got tired of it.

Muesli Bar

My next option was really to try out some muesli bars which I had with my black coffee.  This muesli bars were generally nut and fruit bars.  For example, almond and apricot.  Yeah, I shouldn't be eating fruits if I am strictly on the Atkins diet induction phase but there were just so little options and I could not help myself.  But the bars contained around less than 20 carbs each (including fibre) so I guess it is pretty alright.  That was actually my breakfast for most days.

Caved in Today

Today's breakfast was a wholemeal bun.  This is really a no-no but there was little option for me as the wife bought it from a cafe and we headed out for a picnic.  So I had black coffee (without sugar) and a really dry brown bun.  The rest of the day was really carbo free (i.e. no rice, noodles , etc).  So I hoped that I did make up for it in some way or another.  If it helped, I did some housework today so that ought to have burnt off the bun that I ate.

No comments:

Post a Comment